Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The 5th Sunday after Pentecost - July 13, 2014 - The Sower and the Soil


Jesus was teaching to a crowd standing on the beach while he sat in a boat.  Often beaches are slanted toward the water; perhaps they could hear him better in that setting--perhaps an amphitheater effect.  Perhaps the wind was blowing from the sea and carried his words to them.  In his teaching Jesus began with the command, "Listen!" and then he ended the parable with, "Let anyone with ears listen!"  Then he ends his explanation of the parable by describing the nature of the people who he hopes will respond to his teaching about God's kingdom and do something about it, comparing them to good soil, ". . . this is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields  in one case a hundred fold, in another sixty, and in another thirty."

The parable's explanation makes this parable--despite Jesus' naming it for the sower--more a parable about soil--and the question that must follow is what sort of soil are you?  Are you loamy, fruitful soil able to attract people to God's Word, to Jesus and his way of loving God and neighbor?

Yet that question leads back to the sower:  why does the sower bother with sowing anywhere but fruitful soil?  Might you call him a careless, wasteful sower?  Can he not tell the difference between unfruitful soil and loam?  I'll never forget walking into a cornfield in Illinois and being struck by how different the soil looked from the soil I knew here in Delaware.  Dark and productive looking, it taught me what the word "loam" truly means.  And farmers don't plant their seed just anywhere--that would be just plain foolish!

Yes, both the soil and the sower are important to reflect on.  If God-in-Jesus could be seen the sower, might the correct descriptive words be "generous" or "hopeful" or "gracious?"  Unlike a farmer who must take care where he or she plants in order to maximize the yield, the sower in the parable cannot judge ahead of time what sort of soil is there.  And in terms of human beings, the sort of soil we are may change from one time to another.  Sometimes we understand; sometimes we don't.  Sometimes we let our worries get the best of us; other times we hear what God is trying to have us understand.  If God as sower does not pass judgment on the type of soil we are, we should not presume to either.

We must also see ourselves in the role of the sower as well.  Jesus sent his disciples--and sends us--into the world to spread the Good News of God's love and the eventual triumph of peace with justice in God's coming reign. I want to share a story with you about a pastor reaching out past the discomfort of evangelism to become a hopeful and gracious "sower."  His name is Steve Wilco from Amherst, Massachusetts. 

He begins, "I looked ridiculous. I was sitting in the campus center cafeteria wearing my clerical collar, something I’d been doing once a week for months. As the pastor of a congregation adjacent to campus, I was trying to get to know the students, but I had no idea how to start.

"I knew another minister who posted questions on a giant bulletin board, and I wondered if I could do the same thing. Then it occurred to me—I’d use a whiteboard as a facsimile of a Facebook wall. I purchased a 2' x 3' whiteboard and carried it into the campus center. Now I was risking my dignity. I imagined being asked to leave by the cafeteria managers or ridiculed by the students. I posted questions that tackled faith issues. “What are you most afraid of?” “What are you waiting for?” and “Love is . . .”

"People began slowing down to read the board. They were intrigued, and some offered comments as if they were grateful for a chance to express themselves.

"But the most intriguing result was that people started conversations—not with me, but with each other. In fact, most often people read the question and asked their friends for answers.

"They usually walked out of earshot before any answer was offered, though sometimes I could see that a good conversation had begun—and that I had no control over it. I had thought that I was risking my dignity; the risk was in putting something out into the world that had a life of its own.

"We take the same risk in Sunday worship. We give people the body of Christ and then send them out into the world to be that body. Like questions that begin conversations I will never hear, worship propels us into ministry that isn’t contained within the confines of the church. Thanks to the whiteboard, I began to imagine every worship gathering as a holy risk that we trust into God’s hands."

We can never know--in most instances--whether a conversation we have with someone about issues of faith has made a difference.  Yet we can be a non-judgmental "sower," listening well and speaking from the truth in our hearts about how God has worked in our lives.  Perhaps through our words there will a fruitful yield.  But as St. Paul explained about who gets credit in evangelism efforts, "So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God gives the growth." (I Cor. 3:7)  Let us trust in God's blessing on our work as "sowers" in God's name!

Steve Wilco’s reflection on “Risk,” The Christian Century, July 9, 2014, p. 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment