Sunday, August 31, 2014

The 12th Sunday after Pentecost - Losing or Saving One's Life


In the fall of 2005 I made friends with Titus Presler.  He had left his position as President of the Seminary of the Southwest and took a position at General Seminary as the academic dean.  Despite what you might be thinking--I was not "called" to the Dean's office!  Before Time Warner had installed internet in our tiny apartment, I had to send out some short prayers I had written each evening for a campus group using the campus Wi-Fi.  The only place I could get a signal in the evening was in the building where the IT office was. Titus' office was on the floor directly below the IT office, and there were a couple of chairs in the hallway.  So I quietly made my way to this spot with my laptop each evening.  One evening his door was open as he unpacked some boxes of books.  He noticed me and came out in the hall to find out—in a most pleasant way—who I was and why I was there.
After that, we occasionally found ourselves at the same table at lunch. I got to know his wife, Jane, who worked in the world mission section of the Presiding Bishop's office and had coffee with her. He made a special point of speaking with me after my senior sermon with positive feedback. And I audited his world mission class my final semester at General.
I heard that he did not remain at General, probably a casualty of the turmoil going on between the faculty and the administration.  I knew that his wife's job had been eliminated, and she (also an Episcopal priest) was serving at various churches in the New York City area.  I wondered what they were going to do next.
Then I learned that he had been appointed to the position of Principal at Edwardes College in Peshawar, Pakistan. I'm not exactly sure what his job entailed, but I knew his commitment to the new way of doing world mission. This new way entails walking with the people to whom you have gone to accomplish the goals they have developed. Yet Pakistan seemed so foreign, so dangerous.  Why did he choose to go there?  It may have been that his particular set of skills and his experience were needed. 
Edwardes College was founded in 1900.  It is currently owned by the Church of Pakistan, an ecumenical union of Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, and Presbyterians.  Here is Titus' description of the college:  "Edwardes is not a Christian enclave: 92 percent of the 2,800 students are Muslim, 7 percent are Christian, and 1 percent are Hindu or Sikh; 90 percent of the 105 faculty members are Muslim; and the campus includes a mosque as well as a chapel."
But the government of the provincial area wanted control of the college and engaged in acts of intimidation and even physically abused a Christian administrator.  Titus was no longer safe in Peshawar and went to live in Islamabad with a Muslim who believes that religious minorities should not be persecuted. The government continued to try to take over the college.  A lawsuit by the college tried to block this take-over, and Titus returned from the U. S. to testify. 
He described what happened in a recent article in Christian Century: "In February of this year, I received a safe-passage letter from Pakistan’s Interior Ministry and traveled back to Pakistan to appear in Peshawar High Court to support the diocese’s lawsuit against the government’s takeover bid. On our way out of the city, ISI agents flagged down me and my host, tore up the safe-passage letter, and hauled me into their vehicle. For about eight minutes two agents, one on each side, beat me with fists while the agent in the front seat accused me of being a CIA agent, warned me to leave Pakistan, threatened to kill me, and ripped the work visa out of my passport. My host argued strenuously with agents who were keeping watch outside and prevented a worse outcome by securing my release. In mid-April I arrived home to my family in Vermont, where I remain while the church works to resolve the situation.
         "As we drove away from our attackers, the prayer that came to my mind was this: “Friend Jesus, this and so much worse is what your Christian brothers and sisters have been experiencing here in Pakistan for so long. This and so much worse is what your Muslim brothers and sisters and others have been experiencing here for so long. Now I know it firsthand. I’m not thankful for the beating, Friend Jesus, but I am thankful for the knowledge. And for still being alive.”
I, too, am grateful that Titus survived this horrific experience.  He concluded his article by describing his heightened solidarity with the people he was serving in Peshawar.  And he asks for us "to join in prayer and mission" with Christians who live in fear of their lives, but who steadfastly maintain their faith.
Indeed, as Matthew gospel tells us, Jesus admonished his disciples, "If any want to be my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it."  I doubt that Titus took his job at Edwardes thinking that he could be martyred.  We may also find ourselves unexpectedly in situations where more is demanded of us physically, emotionally or spiritually than we ever expected.
As we listen for God's leading in these situations, let us remember Jesus' assurance that God will honor our commitment to act with compassion, trusting that God will not abandon us--even if it means making ourselves vulnerable to losing whatever has always seemed most important to us. Yes, let us trust in God’s faithfulness; let us trust in God always--through every circumstance!
Titus Presler, "Persecuted in Pakistan," Christian Century, September 3, 2014, p. 20-21.

No comments:

Post a Comment